Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Copenhagen

Well we are coming to the end of our first 24 hours in Copenhagen - a few surprises- some good some not so good. I may have told you about my close brush with a scam when I was booking accommodation in Copenhagen a few months back. I had emailed someone called 'Shelagh" back and forth and was about to send him/her a $150 deposit when out of the blue the money was to be sent to someone in Nigeria. I immediately emailed back to say "Goodbye Shelagh, I do not send money to unknown people in Nigeria" only to get a phone call a couple of nights later in the middle of the night asking why the money hadn't been sent - to say I was a bit spooked would be an understatement. A a result I booked what I thought was an ensuite B&B room with the Danish tourist office only to discover on arrival arouond 10 pm last night that we were sharing the bathroom with our landlady and there is no breakfast. Never mind - she is very nice and it is just for 3 nights. Phil doesn't do suprise very well but i took him to a very nice restaurant tonight with a good bootle of red and he seems MUCH happier. Enough of that. We have had a very pleasant day - weather could be better - it is mid-summer and just 15 deg????? But we wandered around the Royal Palace ( Phil refused to ask to see Princess Mary - her Mum, Henrietta, used to be his secretary in Uni of Tas so I thought that was worth an audience). Very pleasant city - millions of bikes and very eco. We had dinner at an organic restaurant - BioMio - lovely fresh food with an open kitchen - the Manager and barmen were both Aussies. So now just a few pictures to give you a feel for the city.


Royal Palace



Our corner store





This is for my Mum who likes knitting socks - an exhibit in the National Museum



I thought this painting in the Art Gallery was interesting - Holbech has painted his daughter with her African nanny



Clever design in the National Museum - they have put a glass roof over the courtyard and cantilevered timber walkways and staircases to create some really useful and pleasing spaces.


So many beautiful people!!!!


Canal near the Palace















Tivoli Gardens


Couldn't resist this one outside the City Hall. A couple cycled to the Registry Office on this bike to be married with their 2 little children in the carrier. Love the decorative touch.